Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's a Brand New Day

Went & saw Joshua Radin last week at Center Stage. Never been to Center Stage before, but totally digging the indie rock vibe in their theatre. Note to self: must go back.


If you don’t recognize Joshua’s name…I’m sure you’ve heard his music before. Got his big start with a song on Scrubs. Remember that show? Full of crazy humor & angst. Joshua Radin’s music is on the softer angst side…a sweet, soulful sound.


I’m a firm believer there are two types of people. People who feel music. And people who don’t. You just can’t fake it…


Anyhow…so at his concert last week, I had the opportunity (in-between sets) to people watch. One of my favorite hobbies. And at Center Stage, there’s plenty to view. Strange mix of people all around.


Directly in front of me were a teenage girl & her boyfriend. But they were there with her parents. Whaa?? Yep, her parents. As much as I love my parents, I can’t imagine going on a double-date to a concert with them…while in high school! I can’t get over it. Who does that? At that age, I’d rather die than have my parents chaperone my date. The poor boyfriend…he was trying so hard to be cool, but obviously nervous/scared sh*tless to be sitting next to his girlfriend’s dad (a big, brawny man).


Then to my right…was a young married couple in their 20s. Very cute couple. But the girl was the most unsocial/reserved woman I’ve ever met. Never said a word to anyone. Really? At a concert (especially in-between sets), everyone’s mingling, talking, drinking, etc. Being social. But not this girl. Glued to her husband. The guy was social, though. So does this mean opposites attract? And do opposites always attract?


To my left…was a middle-aged couple. As I type middle-aged, I almost cringe. I think I’m now middle-aged. When did that happen?? Well, the couple to my left gave me hope. A funky, in-town couple. Probably in their mid-40s. Still in style (dressed cooler than everyone else, I might add). Rockin’ it at Center Stage.


I certainly don’t feel middle-aged. And luckily (or so I’ve been told), I don’t look my age. In a few weeks I’ll be rockin’ the big 4-0. Funny...what they say is true. At this age, you know yourself. You know what you want. And you know what you don’t want.


I’m honestly thankful to be done with my teens (that young couple in front of me proved it). And the quiet, reserved girl in her 20s…eh, I’m done with that, too. So I look forward to celebrating another year. Another milestone. And I look forward to starting each day after. Brand new days to celebrate & feel the music…


Brand New Day~Joshua Radin (check him out!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VqVz7f8m5g

1 comment:

  1. Terri I agree with you. It's so funny how at this age we can look around and see things with such clarity. Maybe it's a gift that comes with the 40's. I know we're all on the right path which is our own personal path and we'll all get to where we are destined to be I don't doubt it. We'll just keep encouraging ourselves to have fun on the way!

    ReplyDelete