Sunday, February 27, 2011

The "secret sorority"

Today I finished my second half marathon! That's 13.1 miles of pure running high which is one way to explain the addiction and fun of running. Today was Disney's Princess Half Marathon where 17,000 fellow "princesses" took to the course with me bright and early to challenge ourselves. Even though I ran this course before a year ago last January for the Donald Duck half marathon, there's still a sense of excitement that comes over you as the fairy godmother starts each running group with a wave of her wand and a firework display. Running for me is about reaching personal goals but what I really noticed today was the bonding that takes place between people from all over the country who unite for a common cause. I call it a "secret sorority" because it's truly about friends new, old and people you've never met before encouraging and supporting you on the way. Maybe because the race is mostly 99.9% women (yes we had a few male Cinderellas in the mix for entertainment) but I was pleased to see strangers helping each other out, encouraging, smiling happily to take your photo even after they were exhausted themselves... the outreach among the runners just didn't end. The simple act of running towards a common goal unites the group. You get excited for the girl you breezes past you because you know she's tackling her own personal goal too. And you simply wish her success on the way.

So in the spirit of being super tired I'll keep this blog entry short and just say congrats to my fellow running princesses who completed their first ever race (Eileen and Karin aka Belle and Sleeping Beauty) pictured with me. Personal bests all around - This princess personally shaved 12 min off my last half marathon and is looking forward to more races and opportunities to bond with other fellow runners in this "secret sorority" in the future.

Goodnight from Orlando. Cinderella is getting some much needed beauty rest after today.

No comments:

Post a Comment